The Communications Specialist responsibilities include providing quality written communications to support OverDrive’s sales marketing initiatives. This position interacts with many audiences, including our library and school partners, end users, community organizations, media outlets, and industry professionals as well as all departments within OverDrive. These roles will use discretion to make recommendations, develop innovative, actionable marketing and media strategies and messages for OverDrive’s websites, print materials, direct marketing advertising, social media and other important communication initiatives. The work of these roles is in conjunction with the OverDrive team, influences the acquisition and retention of new business.
- Produce quality marketing communications for internal and external audiences via multiple channels, including web, print, social media, direct marketing media advertising, events, etc., balancing the OverDrive brand guidelines and deadlines.
- Serve as project coordinator for marketing projects and those initiated by other departments. Facilitate the process to understand the project, produce the message, work with creative services (if necessary), then launch / go live / print and measure results and evaluate.
- Provide support and input for other OverDrive marketing initiatives as assigned.
- Idea generation and message development; draft quality marketing communications while balancing the demands of brand management and deadlines for web, print, social media, direct marketing advertising, events, etc.
- Edit ad(s) / or review projects for grammar and spelling, adhering to OD brand messages.
- Lead development for OD communication and other OD assets, including sales support collateral.
- Assist with the training of new team members.
- Participate in the interview process for recruiting other team members and participate in the training of new team members as needed.
- Bachelor degree in Marketing or related field, or equivalent experience.
- 3 – 5 years of related experience (i.e., copywriting, e-commerce, journalism, marketing, communications, etc.).
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal and written communication skills; strong listening skills.
- Strong attention to detail with excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Able to create persuasive communications by articulating complex concepts.
- Able to work cooperatively with internal and external customers, as well as be an enthusiastic team player.
- Computer proficiency with MS Office Suite.
- Self-directed, utilizing tact, diplomacy and a clear, courteous and professional manner when dealing with the public.
- Able to juggle demands of fast-paced environment.
- Industry and OverDrive knowledge.
- Able to work independently and make autonomous decisions.
- Leadership skills.
As you’ve probably guessed, OverDrive is a place that values individuality and variety. We don’t want you to be like everyone else, we don’t even want you to be like us—we want you to be like you! So, if you’re interested in joining the OverDrive team, email us your resume at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us what inspires you about OverDrive and why you think you are perfect for our team.
OverDrive values diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.