The Network Engineer’s responsibilities include designing, installing and troubleshooting OverDrive’s network and network security devices such as firewalls, switches, WAN and LAN connectivity, WiFi networks, VPN, load balancer, IDPS, etc.
- Provide various Network Services including remote network support and on-site field implementation services.
- Collaboratively work with technical peers to troubleshoot and resolve operational issues in a critical data center environment.
- Plan, design and implement networked systems, including configurations, and support / troubleshoot network problems.
- Install and configure all network hardware and equipment, including firewalls, routers, switches, hubs, UPSs, IDPs, Syslog servers, VPN, load balancers and so on.
- Recommend, schedule, and perform network improvements, upgrades, and repairs.
- Assist with tasks involved with disaster recovery planning and testing services.
- Participate in after-hours maintenance activities to support our environment.
- Participate in the IT department change management process, while administering changes to our environment.
- Manage network security solutions, including firewall and intrusion detection systems.
- Propose and implement system enhancements (software and hardware updates) that will improve the performance and reliability of the network.
- Conduct network architecture design, feasibility and cost studies.
- Develop and evaluate network performance criteria and measurement methods.
- Plan and implement any improvement, modification, or replacement of network infrastructure components.
- Conduct research on network products, services, protocols, and standards in support of network procurement and development efforts.
- Manage Point to Point VPN connectivity with various 3rd party vendors.
- Monitor and maintain Wireless networks, including scans for rogue access points and security audits.
- Address vulnerabilities regarding network security based on scan results provided by the security team.
- Establish service level agreements with end users.
- Mentor junior members of the team.
- Interact and negotiate with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure network products and services.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of experience with systems and processes.
- Ability to perform administration tasks that include installation, configuration, license management, access management, patch management, troubleshooting and tuning for the specific network components.
- Knowledge of foundational network protocols such as TCP / IP, DNS and LDAP and OSI Model.
- In depth knowledge of Microsoft Active Directory, VLANs, WAN Routing Protocols, Layer 3 Routing, etc.
- Deep understanding of key communication protocols such as SMTP, SIP, BGP, OSPF and RTP.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Job appropriate MCITP certification, CCNA or better.
- Valid driver’s license.
As you’ve probably guessed, OverDrive is a place that values individuality and variety. We don’t want you to be like everyone else, we don’t even want you to be like us—we want you to be like you! So if you’re interested in joining the OverDrive team, email us your resume at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us what inspires you about OverDrive and why you think you are perfect for our team.