WHAT IS “PERSONAL INFORMATION”?
“Personal Information” describes information that can be associated with a specific user and used to identify that person, for example, full name (first and last); a home or other physical address including street name and city or town; telephone number; or online contact information such as an email address or screen name. Personal Information may be submitted by you in your interaction with the Services. Other information, that is not Personal Information, may be collected automatically by visiting and/or using our Services.
WHY DOES OVERDRIVE COLLECT INFORMATION?
HOW DOES OVERDRIVE PROTECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
OverDrive takes information security very seriously. We have implemented measures to protect against the loss, misuse, and alteration of your Personal Information. Any Personal Information that we collect is protected by physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to prevent unauthorized disclosure. We encrypt the transmission of sensitive data we collect from visitors of our Services using secure sockets layer (SSL) technology. We use computer safeguards such as firewalls and data encryption and physical access controls to our buildings and files. We authorize access to Personal Information only for those employees who require it to fulfill their job responsibilities.
WHAT INFORMATION DOES OVERDRIVE COLLECT?
We may collect certain information about your interactions with us and information related to you and your use of our Services, including but not limited to, Personal Information, your online activity, digital content selections, reviews and ratings, as well as Internet Protocol addresses, device types, unique device data, such as device identifiers, and operating systems.
DOES OVERDRIVE USE “COOKIES” TO COLLECT INFORMATION?
Yes, when you view one of our websites, we may store some data on your computer in the form of a “cookie” to automatically recognize your device the next time you visit. Cookies allow us to improve your browsing experience in many ways.
- Keeping track of cart items;
- Storing your password when browsing related websites during a single session;
- Detecting your web-browser language;
- Detecting your IP address;
- Determining your library card authentication status;
- Delivering applicable advertisements;
- Displaying your indicated font preference;
- Providing support assistance; and
- Providing expanded collections on our websites.
DOES OVERDRIVE USE TRACKING TECHNOLOGY?
Yes, in order to help us continue to make improvements to our Services, OverDrive analyzes information that is tracked each time you use our Services.
Examples of information OverDrive tracks include, but are not limited to:
- How many “active” installations of our Services we have;
- How you utilize and interact with our Services; and
- Other information to help us improve our Services.
OverDrive uses Webtrends, Google Analytics, including the Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting feature, and other software to track usage of its Services. For more information on Webtrends, please visit http://webtrends.com. For more information on Google Analytics, please visit http://www.google.com/analytics/. You can opt out of Google Analytics for Display Advertising and customize Google Display Network ads using the Ads Settings (link: https://www.google.com/settings/u/0/ads).
HOW DOES OVERDRIVE USE INFORMATION?
OverDrive collects Personal Information and other information from you in order to:
- Support the internal operations of the Services, including but not limited to support for: activities necessary to maintain or analyze the Services, network communications, user authentication or personalization of content, and security of users;
- Determine your current geographic location and/or language so that we may provide localized content and Services;
- Comply with the requirements of our publisher, library, and retail partners;
- Alert you if digital content becomes available for check-out from a library partner;
- Provide recommendations for digital content we think you may enjoy;
- Integrate with additional service providers for use of the Services;
- Personalize our Services to better reflect particular interests and preferences; and
- Generally improve your experience.
WHAT IF I SHARE INFORMATION WITH OTHERS WHILE USING THE OVERDRIVE SERVICES?
HOW CAN I CHANGE MY PREFERENCES?
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I VISIT AN EXTERNAL WEBSITE NOT RELATED TO OVERDRIVE’S SERVICES?
IS MY INFORMATION TRANSMITTED TO OTHER COUNTRIES?
Given that the Internet is a global environment, using the Internet to collect and process information necessarily involves the transmission of data on an international basis. Therefore, by using the Services, you acknowledge and consent to the transfer of your information outside your country of residence to any country where we have facilities or engage third parties (including but not limited to, payment processors, cloud service or other Information Technology providers, and other companies that provide services to us). You understand that the countries to which we may transfer information may not have as comprehensive a level of data protection as in your country.
OverDrive complies with the U.S. – EU Safe Harbor Framework and the U.S. – Swiss Safe Harbor Framework as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of Personal Information from European Union member countries and Switzerland. OverDrive has certified that it adheres to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles of notice, choice, onward transfer, security, data integrity, access, and enforcement. To learn more about the Safe Harbor program, and to view OverDrive’s certification, please visit http://export.gov/safeharbor.