The Public Relations Specialist’s responsibilities include providing quality public relations support for OverDrive’s marketing initiatives. In addition to media targets in our primary markets (library, school, publisher, end user), this position interacts with many of our important audiences, including our partners (customers), end users, national and community organizations, and industry professionals, as well as internal departments and management. This role will use discretion to make recommendations, develop innovative, actionable strategies and messages for OverDrive’s public relations, content marketing and social media (i.e., blogs, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc.). The work of the Public Relations Specialist, in conjunction with the OverDrive team, influences the acquisition and retention of customers.
- Produce high-quality communications for media channels, including target publications, websites and social media channels in library, school, publisher and end user (reader) markets while balancing demands of brand management and cost/deadlines.
- Lead development of and manage editorial calendar
- Serve as OverDrive spokesperson for some media inquiries.
- Facilitate media relations with target publications, websites and social media channels, by contacting and developing relationships with key editors and reporters.
- Develop ideas for press releases, content marketing or other ways to generate earned media impressions.
- Coordinate the master media list, ensure accuracy on a regular basis.
- Become familiar with third party database (currently Cision) to manage media lists, monitoring and distribution processes. Work with social media team members to coordinate and monitor social media coverage.
- Draft press releases and media alerts, conducting any research or background – including working with OverDrive subject matter experts – to develop fresh, newsworthy angles.
- Support Communications Manager as needed, by contributing to other content generation, including white papers, case studies, bylined articles.
- Support marketing campaign planning to recommend PR strategies for each new campaign.
- Monitor OverDrive and competitor press and social media coverage and package into reports for easy consumption.
- Monitor results and evaluate impact of PR initiatives.
- Bachelor degree in Marketing, Journalism, or related field, or equivalent experience.
- 1-5 years related experience (i.e., PR, journalism, communications, etc.).
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal and written communication skills; strong listening and writing skills.
- Strong attention to detail with excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Working knowledge of social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and WordPress.
- Able to work cooperatively with internal and external customers, as well as be an enthusiastic team player.
- Experience with media and social media monitoring tools.
- Able to juggle demands of fast-paced environment.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Computer proficiency with MS Office Suite.
- Able to create persuasive communications by articulating complex concepts.
- Self-directed, utilizing tact, diplomacy and a clear, courteous and professional manner when dealing with the public.
- Library and/or Education Industry and OverDrive knowledge.
- Able to work independently and make autonomous decisions.
- Leadership skills.
As you’ve probably guessed, OverDrive is a place that values individuality and variety. We don’t want you to be like everyone else, we don’t even want you to be like us—we want you to be like you! So if you’re interested in joining the OverDrive team, email us your resume at email@example.com and tell us what inspires you about OverDrive and why you think you are perfect for our team.
OverDrive values diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.