The Systems Administrator’s responsibilities include effective provisioning, installation / configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware, servers and related infrastructure. This position participates in technical research, evaluation, and documentation to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure. This individual ensures that system hardware, operating systems, and related procedures adhere to IT Standards as set within the team.
- Coordinate vendor related activities associated with the support of in-scope servers.
- Coordinate with vendor and other support teams to install and replace all field serviceable components for failed production hardware.
- Govern production readiness process to ensure that all new and repurposed server installations are properly monitored, backed up and covered by proper support documentation.
- Provide 24/7 support coverage for all in scope servers during rotating primary / secondary on-call schedules.
- Create and maintain documentation for servers and other technology solutions within the environment in accordance with Governance and Compliance policies.
- Participate in after-hours maintenance activities to support our environment.
- Support network and server technologies required for application and database systems.
- Follow change control policies and procedures and supports the practice of continuous improvement.
- Maintain and support the Microsoft Exchange, Active Directory and other enterprise systems.
- Able to work in an interrupt based work environment with changing deadlines, conflicting priorities, and users of all levels of technical skill.
- Monitor server performance stats and ensure uptime by alerting based on poor performance metrics in accordance with the OverDrive monitoring policies.
- Propose and implement system enhancements (software and hardware updates) that will improve the performance and reliability of the system.
- Solve complex system problems quickly and with expertise, leveraging the vendor as the next higher level of support.
- Design, script and implement solutions to automate daily IT tasks using tools such as Chef and Puppet.
- Assist in the recommendations of new policies and procedures to improve operations.
- Associate degree in Computer Science, or related field, or equivalent experience.
- 4 – 7 years of experience with systems and processes.
- Advanced understanding of the application and the use of LAN, WAN, TCP / IP, DNS, DHCP, Active Directory, and other network topologies and technology infrastructures.
- Able to take ownership of Servers, Systems, and Portals.
- Experience configuring and maintaining SAN storage and VMWare virtualized environments.
- Experience with modern scripting languages, such as Powershell, C# or Ruby.
As you’ve probably guessed, OverDrive is a place that values individuality and variety. We don’t want you to be like everyone else, we don’t even want you to be like us—we want you to be like you! So if you’re interested in joining the OverDrive team, email us your resume at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us what inspires you about OverDrive and why you think you are perfect for our team.