Popular Audio Books from Phoenix Audio Available for Free Library Downloads
Only OverDrive delivers great fiction from Amy Tan, Dave Barry, Robert Parker and others
Cleveland, OH – February 21, 2007 – OverDrive®, a leading provider of digital media services for libraries, announced today an agreement to add popular audio book titles from Phoenix Audio to its vast e-warehouse of download audio books, eBooks, music and video. The titles are available for use only on OverDrive’s Digital Library Reserve™ platform, which more than 4000 public libraries use to offer download digital media. Phoenix Audio is a division of Phoenix New Millennium, Inc. (formerly Phoenix).
Some of the authors on the Phoenix Audio roster include Amy Tan, Dave Barry, Raymond Chandler, Robert Parker and Stephen King. Examples of current, best-selling titles include:
- “Absurdistan” by Gary Shteyngart. Named one of the Top Ten Best Books of the Year for 2006 by the New York Times. Wonderfully performed by Arte Johnson, the audio version has been nominated for an Audie Award.
- “The Theory of Everything” and “A Brief History of Time” by Stephen Hawking. Two classic works of modern science from the man whose writing has re-shaped the way we think about the universe and our place in it.
- “The Princess Bride” by William Goldman. This hilarious and charming fairy tale has been a favorite for thirty years. The film version is considered a modern classic. The delightful audio version is read by Rob Reiner, director of the film.
- “Salt: A World History” by Mark Kurlansky. The bestselling author of “Cod: A Biography of the Fish That Changed the World” and “The Basque History of the World” turns his attention to salt, a common household item with a long and intriguing history, explaining how salt provoked and financed wars, secured empires, and inspired revolutions.
- “Atonement” by Ian McEwan. The Booker Prize-winning author of “Amsterdam” has created a symphonic novel of love and war, childhood and class, guilt and forgiveness. Currently being made into a film for release in 2007, starring Keira Knightley and Vanessa Redgrave.
“As a leading publisher of audio books in a variety of subjects, Phoenix Audio is proud to join forces with OverDrive and their extensive network of public libraries,” said Michael Viner, President and CEO of Phoenix New Millennium. “OverDrive gives us immediate digital access to thousands of satisfied libraries and millions of library card holders in their network, and that’s appealing to us because it gives us a new market to serve and a great partner to work with.”
“Our large network of libraries and their patrons will be thrilled to see these popular audio book titles from Phoenix Audio,” said Erica Lazzaro, OverDrive licensing manager. “These titles enhance our already industry-leading inventory of audio books and give yet another reason to download from your public library.”
OverDrive provides patrons of member libraries the ability to download popular digital audio books, eBooks, music, video and (coming soon) games & interactive software. OverDrive, through its web-based Digital Library Reserve platform, offers more than 50,000 downloadable titles in a variety of popular formats. To see if your library is a member of OverDrive’s network, and to find other titles of eBooks, audio books, music and videos available from public libraries, search within the library web sites or go to www.overdrive.com/search.
About OverDrive, Inc.
OverDrive is a leader in providing world-class infrastructure for downloading premium digital content. We deliver secure management, protection and download services for hundreds of publishers and institutions (rights holders) and thousands of libraries, retailers and distributors serving millions of end users. With more than 50,000 premium digital titles – including current best sellers – of eBooks, audio books, music, video and (coming soon) games & interactive software presentable in a single platform, OverDrive offers the industry’s best selection as well as the option to manage, protect and download proprietary content. Founded in 1986, OverDrive is based in Cleveland, OH. www.overdrive.com
About Phoenix Audio
Phoenix Audio is a unit of Beverly Hills-based Phoenix New Millennium, Inc. Phoenix New Millennium, a major force among independent publishers of books and audio books, also produces programming for television and new media, and manages talent in television, music and publishing. Phoenix’s recent titles include works from Larry King, Bill Maher, Stephen Hawking, Gene Simmons, Shannon Tweed, Kevin Trudeau and Robert Evans. Phoenix has one of the largest libraries of audio books, with thousands of titles ranging from Dickens and Raymond Chandler to Amy Tan, Jack Higgins, Robert Parker, Philip Roth and Sidney Sheldon, including many of the best-selling titles ever released on audio, including Bill Maher’s bestsellers “When You Ride Alone, You Ride with Bin Laden” and “New Rules”; Robert Evans’ cult classic “The Kid Stays in the Picture,” called the “Best of the Best” by Publishers Weekly; and Kevin Trudeau’s #1 New York Times bestseller “Natural Cures ‘They’ Don’t Want You to Know About.”