OverDrive Periodicals drive circulation growth
Earlier this year, OverDrive went live with our digital magazine service, OverDrive Periodicals, offering over 1,000 magazines and newspapers, through our relationship with Barnes and Noble NOOK. The collection includes the best coverage of the top 200 circulating magazines including: Glamour, The New Yorker, USA Today, WIRED, Wall Street Journal, The Economist, Bon Appetit and more. You can review the full list of magazines and newspapers by logging into Marketplace.
OverDrive Periodicals are available on the same platform as your other digital content (Periodicals, Streaming Video, eBooks and Audiobooks —which proved to be a key decision making factor for our early adopter libraries. Now that we have several months of service across the library partners who have added OverDrive Periodicals, we have observed some promising trends:
- OverDrive Periodicals drive above average circulation growth across the digital catalog. The top 30 highest circulating libraries averaged circulation growth of 13.7% from January through March of 2015. Of that top 30, those who added Periodicals averaged 22.3% circulation growth in the same timeframe.
- OverDrive Periodicals provide value on a cost per circ basis: Average annualized cost per circulation of OverDrive Periodicals is $0.27.
- OverDrive Periodicals engage customers with your service and your collection. Patrons who come to an OverDrive site looking for an eBook or Audiobook have shown a high propensity to interact with Periodical collections. Patrons who come to an OverDrive site to borrow Periodicals have shown a high propensity to interact with additional formats, including Streaming Video.
A wide variety of OverDrive partners have added OverDrive Periodicals, including:
- Individual public libraries such as San Antonio Public Library, Rocky River Public Library and Cuyahoga County Public Library
- Public library consortia including eIndiana Digital Consortium and CLEVNET
- School Districts & Academic Libraries including Northside ISD and Lindenwood University
The data points are clear. If you’re seeking the strongest ROI in digital magazines, as well as a lift in your overall circulation, add OverDrive Periodicals to your digital library today. To start providing your users access to digital magazines and newspapers simply contact your OverDrive Collection Development Specialist.
Title availability may vary by geographic location