The New OverDrive Streamlines Library eBook and Audiobook Lending
Enhanced tools for librarians to connect with their readers more effectively
CLEVELAND – November 16, 2016 – Meet the new OverDrive, the fastest and easiest way to reading happiness from the library. Libraries around the world now have a new integrated website and app to deliver more eBooks and audiobooks to their readers. The OverDrive service, used by over 90 percent of public libraries in the U.S., has been updated with dozens of innovative features including enhanced security to attract new users to the library. The ease-of-use simplifies the borrowing process and enhances discoverability so readers don’t leave empty-handed. OverDrive provides librarians powerful curation tools to customize collections and reach new areas of their community.
With improved technology, based on OverDrive APIs, the new user experience is simple and consistent across web, mobile and the app. To find a library near you, visit overdrive.com. The new and enhanced features that will benefit readers and libraries include:
Fast, Streamlined User Experience.
- With the new simplified interface, readers are always one click away from discovering more titles and managing their checkouts.
- Auto-complete search functionality. Users can begin to type an author’s name or book, and search results display a list of titles, series or authors.
- New browse, search and sort by subject and dates titles were added to the library.
- See new pre-released or “coming soon” titles and place a hold immediately.
- Clear and visible title availability, so readers always know what titles can be checked out.
- When placing a hold, users will see recommendations of titles available now to borrow.
- If a library doesn’t have a specific eBook or audiobook in their digital collection, users can recommend that their library purchase the title for patron driven acquisition.
- All readers need is a library card to get started reading.
- The entire reader experience uses HTTPS to protect a library users’ security and privacy.
Enhanced Tools for Librarians to Connect with Readers.
- Create custom collections of interest on the library’s homepage and feature titles to their community such as popular book club reads, a local author spotlight, book-to-movie tie-ins and more.
- Curate content for language or subject specific “rooms” (areas with specially curated collections). For example, to reach new areas of their community, librarians could create a language room with eBooks and audiobooks available in Spanish.
- Kids and/or Teens’ eReading Rooms offer a youthful design and safe environment for young readers.
- Individual collections and search results are shareable through a persistent direct link to that content.
- Stronger support for library consortiums and shared collections. Each library can create a browsing experience specifically designed for their community or leverage the curated collections of the consortium’s.
- Non-English readers. To reach readers who prefer to browse and read in their community language, a multilingual interface in 15 languages.
“The features of the new OverDrive align with the needs of today’s library customers,” said Shannon Lichty, Director of Partner Services at OverDrive. “As a result of the tremendous efforts of thousands of librarians, readers across the world can find and enjoy their next great read quicker and easier than ever.”
Learn more about the new OverDrive at app.overdrive.com/the-new-overdrive.
OverDrive is the leading digital distribution platform, supplying the industry’s largest catalog of eBooks, audiobooks, streaming video and periodicals to 34,000 libraries and schools worldwide. We support all major computers and devices, including iOS®, Android™, Chromebook™ and Kindle® (U.S. only). OverDrive delivers all digital media on a single platform, and offers innovations such as OverDrive Read, the breakthrough EPUB and HTML5 browser-based reading experience, and Read-Along eBooks. Founded in 1986, OverDrive is based in Cleveland, Ohio USA and is owned by Tokyo-based Rakuten. For more information, visit www.overdrive.com or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and our blog.
Director of Marketing & Communications
216-573-6886 ext. 218