New Independent Academy Award-Winning Films Now Available on Kanopy
IFC Films, NEON among premium suppliers offering new content to public and academic libraries
SAN FRANCISCO – October 3, 2023 – Kanopy, the leading streaming provider of film and television for public and academic libraries, has added new award-winning movies to its catalog. Public and academic libraries around the world can provide their users with new Academy Award-winning, independent films from IFC Films and NEON, including Boyhood, The Babadook and Triangle of Sadness, among others. These films join the 30,000 films and series in a wide variety of genres in Kanopy’s industry-favorite catalog.
New titles available include:
- Boyhood – Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress
- The Babadook – Best Film, Best Direction, and Best Original Screenplay at the AACTA
- The Housemaid – Nominated for the Palme d’Or at Cannes Film Festival
- Frances Ha – Best Actress nomination at the Golden Globe
- Official Competition – Best Comedy Film at the Feroz Award
- Triangle of Sadness – Palme d’Or and the European Film Award for Best Film
- Portrait of a Lady on Fire – Best Screenplay Award and Queer Palm at the Cannes Film Festival
- Spencer – Multiple Best Actress awards
- Broker – Best Director at Asian Film Award
More movies from these and other suppliers will be added in the coming weeks. Public library users need only a valid library card for access, while students and faculty of participating colleges and universities need to authenticate through their library. For public and academic libraries that currently offer Kanopy, no action is needed to add the new premium titles. For those libraries interested in adding Kanopy, contact Kanopy.
Public and academic library audiences are drawn to films from IFC Films and NEON because they offer a diverse range of recent independent, artistic and thought-provoking titles that cater to various tastes in their communities and universities. Kanopy specializes in these “films that matter” with other suppliers such as BBC, Criterion, Great Courses and Magnolia.
For public libraries, these new popular and award-winning films can:
- Appeal to viewers looking for something different from mainstream cinema by providing unique and independent content providing fresh storytelling, diverse perspectives and innovative approaches to filmmaking.
- Attract cinephiles and those seeking intellectually stimulating cinema through the films’ artistic value, thought-provoking themes and challenging narratives.
- Draw the attention of movie enthusiasts who appreciate high-quality cinema with critical acclaim and awards recognition.
- Resonate with audiences who support the indie film industry by putting emphasis on independent filmmakers and their creative visions.
For universities, the films:
- Provide tools for professors to enhance and ‘bring their lectures to life’ while connecting with their students, appealing to the “whole student” when reinforcing lectures.
- Help improve student outcomes by offering another avenue for multimodal learning while providing current and popular options for assigned course viewing.
Libraries interested in adding Kanopy to their services can submit their information via website form.
Explore more of Kanopy’s catalog.
Kanopy is the leading video streaming service providing “films that matter” through public libraries and colleges around the world. Partnering with both filmmakers and film and video distributors, Kanopy offers access to a wide range of engaging narratives, insightful documentaries, and riveting television and instructional series. Suppliers include BBC, Criterion, NEON, Samuel Goldwyn, HISTORY, A&E, The Great Courses, Kino Lorber, A24 and IFC Films. Kanopy’s ad-free platform is available via browser as well as on iOS, Android and all major streaming devices including Roku, Apple TV, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV and Samsung Smart TV. OverDrive’s acquisition of Kanopy in 2021 brought together the largest catalog of premium ebook, audiobook and streaming video content for thousands of public libraries, colleges and universities. www.kanopy.com
About IFC Films
IFC Films is a leading distributor of independent film, owned and operated by AMC Networks Inc. Its distribution model makes independent films available to a national audience by releasing them in theaters as well as on cable’s Video On Demand (VOD) and digital platforms. Some of the company’s successes over the years have included BOYHOOD, THE DEATH OF STALIN, FRANCES HA, MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING, Y TU MAMA TAMBIEN, THE BABADOOK, TOUCHING THE VOID, 4 MONTHS, 3 WEEKS AND 2 DAYS, CHE, SUMMER HOURS, ANTICHRIST, IN THE LOOP, JOAN RIVERS: A PIECE OF WORK, TINY FURNITURE and CARLOS, among others.
Director of Brand & Communications
Browse blog and media articles
Public Library Training
K-12 Library Training