LAUSD students can access digital books FREE
Meet Sora, the student reading app.
Sora is the quickest and easiest way to read digital books. LAUSD students can log in using their LAUSD email address and password and instantly access hundreds of ebooks and audiobooks on virtually any device, for FREE.
Los Angeles Unified School District’s ebook and audiobook collection is available 24/7. Get started with just a tap.
Using Sora is easy!
Go to Schoology & log in with your LAUSD email address and password.
Click or tap the App Center menu, then select Sora by OverDrive.
Select Sign in using Los Angeles Unified School District & you’re in!
Sora Quick Tips for Students
Read, Listen or Read-along
Different types of books (ebooks, audiobooks or read-alongs) are available for all ages and reading levels!
Read in 20+ languages
Use Sora in 10 languages including English, Spanish, French, Chinese & more. Some books are also available to read in over 20 languages!
Read for long periods of time, finish a book, or borrow different types of books and you’ll earn badges and bragging rights!
Define, Highlight & Take Notes
Hold, drag & highlight text to make notes & define words. You’ll be able to export to PDF, Google Docs, & more.
Bonus: Connect to the
Los Angeles Public Library
In addition to ebooks and audiobooks available from the LAUSD school collection, Sora allows students to:
- Access thousands of age-appropriate digital books in all subject areas
- Read books in more than 20 languages
Here’s how to access titles from the library through Sora:
- **Go to Schoology and log in to Sora with your LAUSD email address and password (see instructions above).
- ** Click or tap the menu (☰) then select Add a library.
- ** Search for Los Angeles Public Library, then select This is my library. The library will open in the Explore tab.
- When you find a book you’d like to read, select Borrow. Then, select Los Angeles Unified School District to automatically sign into the library and borrow the book.
Note: To sign into the library with your LAPL Student Success Card instead, select Los Angeles Public Library from the library login menu.
Brought to you by your school, and built with ? by OverDrive.
Use digital books with your students
Sora, the student reading app, is our school’s gateway to the world’s largest selection of ebooks and audiobooks, spanning millions of titles from thousands of publishers.
Our current collection features digital books for required reading and supplemental reading, and can be customized with books your students need right now.
In Sora, you’ll be able to assign specific books to your classrooms at different reading levels.
View what badges students are receiving for reading achievements with in the app.
Monitor student progress. See how much & how often they are reading & in what formats.
Hundreds of Premium Titles
The Sora app comes loaded with hundreds of premium titles that don’t cost our LAUSD schools a penny. Plus, the titles in Sora’s free collection are frequently refreshed, so check Sora often!
Today, you’ll find*:
- Community Reads: Spanish Titles for Young Readers
- Community Reads: Own Voices & Diversity Books for Students
- Premium, multi-user titles, constantly refreshed with new additions
- Required reading classics: Emma, Call of the Wild, Great Expectations, Hamlet
- Student favorites: Diary of a Wimpy Kid, El Deafo, The Terrible Two, Every Falling Star
- Books from your local public library’s digital collection, if available (Menu » Choose Add a Library)
To purchase specific books for your classroom, contact your Sora account team.
Need help getting yourself or your students set up with Sora?
*Titles in Sora included free collection can vary over time.
Helpful Sora Resources for Educators and School Staff
Getting Started with Sora on your Device or Browser
Introduction to Sora Teacher Flyer
Word Doc & Social Media
Access your Public Library with Sora
Word docs & Social Media graphic
Assets in Spanish
Getting Started with Sora