Students borrow record numbers of ebooks and audiobooks in 2016
The use of eBooks and audiobooks has grown steadily in K-12 classrooms and libraries. The number of digital books borrowed on OverDrive’s K-12 digital reading platform is up 48 percent compared to 2015. K-12 students are reading more eBooks and audiobooks, and while an increasing number of schools are moving their curriculum books to digital, more than half of all eBooks read in K-12 classrooms are for pleasure reading according to a School Library Journal survey.
Top 5 Children/YA eBooks of 2016
- The Long Haul, Jeff Kinney (Abrams)
- Wonder, R. J. Palacio (Random House Children’s Books)
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Jeff Kinney (Amulet Books)
- Cabin Fever, Jeff Kinney (Amulet Books)
- Big Nate Makes a Splash, Lincoln Peirce (Andrews McMeel Publishing, LLC)
Top 5 Children/YA audiobooks of 2016
- The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins (Scholastic Audio)
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, J.K. Rowling (Pottermore from J.K. Rowling)
- The Maze Runner, James Dashner (Penguin Random House Audio Publishing Group)
- The Lightning Thief, Rick Riordan (Penguin Random House Audio Publishing Group)
- Hatchet, Gary Paulsen (Penguin Random House Audio Publishing Group)
OverDrive’s Top Digital Class Sets, eBook versions of the titles that serve as a cornerstone of the K-12 English Language Arts Curriculum, focused on inclusion and connection in 2016. These Classics and New Classics explore issues of empathy and bullying, race and class, immigration and American culture.
Top 5 Class Sets in 2016
- Wonder, R. J. Palacio (Amulet)
- A Raisin in the Sun, Lorraine Hansberry (Knopf Doubleday)
- Their Eyes Were Watching God, Zora Neale Hurston (HarperCollins)
- Inside Out and Back Again, Thanhha Lai (HarperCollins)
- Bud, Not Buddy, Christopher Paul Curtis (Random House)
In national trends, Fantasy and Graphic Novels top the most popular J/YA eBooks. OverDrive’s top predictions for 2017 include exciting new titles in these genres.
Top 5 OverDrive Predicted Hot Books for Winter 2017